As digital advertising professionals, we are immersed in a wide world of ad types. Many of us started off as PPC-only practitioners where text ads ruled the day. No images. No mess. No fuss. Text ads are great, but the advertising ecosystem does not run on text ads alone. The internet ecosystem is full of images. Text, yes, but images are what attracts eyeballs (nay, impressions!).
Now that we are heavily involved in many types of ad units, we run into a hurdle – every channel has different requirements and specifications for their ads. Image sizes, file sizes and even rules… it’s enough to make a grown man cry. To be frank – I got sick of having to do a Google search every time I needed a new image. More to the point, I got sick of my entire team asking me for image sizes… as if I’m some great repository of information. Maybe I am. Maybe not.
My solution? Create a list. It’s so freakin’ helpful. I hope if freakin’ helps you, too.
- Primary ad image > 1200×628
- Carousel ad image(s) > 600×600
- Instagram > 1800×1800
- Logo > 120×44
- Photo > 640×72
- Carousel > any size, but 2+ images must be the same size
- Right rail > 50×50
- Sponsored update > 180×110
- Putting an image within the promo tweet? Image can be any size.
- Lead Gen Card > 800×200
- Website Card > 800×320
- Large image > 1200×628
- Basic image > 600×600 (unique image, or you can crop out of 1200×627 image upload)
- Image extension & native ads
- 300×250 (1.2 : 1 size)
- 100×75 (4 : 3 size)
- 300×200 (1.5 : 1 size)
- 640×360 (16 : 9 size)
- Can input single 1200×628 image and crop down to each of the 4 required sizes. Bing recommends creating unique image for all 4 sizes.
e-Commerce Product Feed Images
- 800×800 – minimum recommended size
- Product should take no less than 75% of image.
Pinterest Promoted Pins
- Will be scaled to fit based on Pinterest feed, expanded pin, board placement, etc.
Display Ads (multi-channel)
- 250×250 (double-duty w/ mobile)
- 200×200 (double-duty w/ mobile)
- 300×250 (double-duty w/ mobile)
- 200×200 (double-duty w/ desktop)
- 250×250 (double duty w/ desktop)
- 300×250 (double duty w/ desktop)
- Gmail Sponsored Promotions
- 144×144 – logo for all formats
- 600×1000 – single image ad – Gmail image template
- 300×500 body, 630×200 header – Gmail single promotion template
- 180×180 item, 630×200 header – Gmail multi-product template
- 650×300 main item, 650×300 additional items – Gmail catalog template
- File sizes for display ads can be tricky.
- GDN only can be up to 150kb.
- Using AdRoll? Has to be 45kb or less.
Well, there you have it. If you find this helpful – please print, share and be happy. Have other image specs I should add to the list? Drop me a comment!
Take a copy with you! Print it out for your office friends! Fold it up in your wallet or purse! http://bit.ly/common-image-sizes