When AdWords announced call-only campaigns in February I was excited. I had a couple clients where phone calls were the main objective so it made sense to use call-only ads. But it isn’t as simple as creating an ad and getting started. You have to verify the phone numbers.
Phone Number Verification
The easiest way to verify the phone number is to provide a verification URL (basically a landing page, though the ad won’t link to it) where the phone number appears in the code of the page (no images). In this scenario Google looks at the number you gave them, parses the verification URL and ensures the numbers match up. For many advertisers this would be sufficient. However, we were using tracking numbers that changed dynamically and weren’t hard-coded into the page HTML. So how does Google handle that?
Prove You Own The Domain
If the tracking numbers aren’t displayed on a verification URL you need to prove to Google you own the display URL associated with the ad. One way to do this is by linking your Google Search Console account (Webmaster Tools) with AdWords. I’ll show you how this is done.
Linking AdWords & Search Console Accounts
- You begin the process in your AdWords account. Select the gear icon in the upper right corner and then click “Linked accounts”.
- On the next screen you should see several options. We want to select the “View details” link under Search Console.
- Now you’ll be presented with a box where you can type in your URL and link you site.
Remember that you need to have claimed your site in Search Console prior to this step or it won’t work.
- If you’re using the same Google account for AdWords as you used for Search Console verification that should be the last step. However, if the email of your AdWords account is different from Search Console then after entering your URL you’ll “Request access” by clicking this nice blue button.
- Now the administrator of the Search Console account will see a notification to approve your access. Once they do that you’ll get a nice little email confirming that the link is complete.
Congratulations! You’ve linked your Search Console (Google Webmaster Tools) account to AdWords, so now your call-only ads will be quickly approved!